Bölümler | Kategoriler | Konular | Üye Girişi | İletişim

Past Perfect Tense

1.1Form Of Past Perfect Tense

HAD + V3
POSITIVE FORM NEGATIVE FORM QUESTION FORM S + had + V3 + O S + had not + V3 + O Had + S + V3 + O I had finished the work by 7 o’clock. I had not finished the work by 7 o’clock. Had you finished the work by 7 o’clock ?

When I got to the garage, the mechanic had fixed the car.
My sister had just left by the time I arrived home.• The meeting had already started by the time the press came.
We had just sat down to dinner when the phone rang.
I had just left the elevetor when the electricity went out.
I was sure that I had never seen that man before.

1.2 Use Of Past Perfect Tense

a) The Past Perfect geçmişte bir eylemden önce tamamlanmış olan bir başka eylemi ifade ederken kullanılır.

When I got home yesterday, my mother had already cooked the dinner.
By the time we got to the theatre, the play had already started.
When Sam was born, I had been a doctor for 10 years.
My son had already learnt how to read by the time he started the primary school.
The hotel had just been robbed by the time the police arrived.
I had read a lot about Scotland before I went there.

b) Cümlede before ya da after kullanılıyor ise, hangi eylemin daha önce gerçekleştiği zaten belli olduğu için past perfect kullanımı gereksizdir. Bu cümlelerde past perfect yerine simple past kullanımı anlam farkına neden olmaz.

After the meeting (had) finished, everybody went home.
Jack (had) left before I got to the office.
Before Mrs. Green went to bed, she had taken her sleeping pill. ( or “ took her sleeping pill)
After the old man (had) died, the doctor came.

NOTE: BY THE TIME , kullanıldığı past perfect cümlelerde bir eylemin, geçmişte başka bir eylem gerçekleşmeden önce hali hazırda tamamlanmış olduğunu belirtmek için kullanılır.

By the time Susan arrived, we had already finished the work.
They had already eaten everything by the time we went to the restaurant.

İngilizce Kursu

MollaCami.Com